Having tried my fair share of keto pizza recipes, this particular recipe for the pizza base tops the list in my opinion. Compared to a base made with cauliflower rice, which tends to be moister and doesn’t keep well, this particular recipe uses primarily cheese and almond flour which results in a base that is as close to the real thing as it can get.
You can choose of your favourite (but make sure it’s keto) pizza toppings but I chose to go with a hoisin duck one.
The pizza itself comes together in under 20 minutes, and the best part - the pizza still tastes good the next day when heated up in the microwave, making it perfect for meal preps. The pizza base also serves as a good keto alternative to dipping breads. Simply spread the dough out slightly thinner and bake it off!
FatHead Pizza base recipe adapted from : https://gimmedelicious.com/2019/01/31/keto-pizza/
Recipe for Pizza base
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning optional
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder optional
- 1 cup Chopped Capsicum
- 1½ cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Chopped Spring Onion
Other suggested suitable keto friendly vegetables for toppings will include: asparagus, zucchini, kale and spinach (with spinach having one of the lowest net carbs).
- Pre-heat oven to 230 degrees C.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and mix in cream cheese with mozzarella until incorporated.
3. Remove from microwave and add in egg, almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, and garlic. Mix until well-incorporated.
4. Transfer dough onto a large piece of baking paper and cover with another piece of baking paper. Flatten out dough using a rolling pin (or just use the palm of your hands) to about half a centimetre thick. Remove top piece of baking paper and shape pizza with hands if required.
5. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven (keep the oven on) and fill your pizza with your desired toppings (in this case capsicum and cheese, duck and spring onions will be placed right at the end just before serving.)
- Bake for another 5-8 minutes or until cheese becomes bubbly.
Recipe for Keto Hoisin Sauce
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Pure Almond Butter (can use peanut butter as well)
- 2 teaspoons Erythritol (add more if needed according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 2 teaspoons White Vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon Five Spice Powder
- ¼ cup Water
- In a saucepan, place all ingredients into the pan and cook on low heat until the ingredients are well-incorporated (depending on how smooth the nut butter is, there may be traces of nuts found in the sauce which is fine. Alternatively, you can choose to blend the sauce in a food processor/blender after adding the water.)
- Add in water and mix well. Leave the sauce to cool and thicken slightly.
Recipe for Duck Breast
- 2 pieces Duck Breast
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Five Spice Powder
- Rub duck dry with paper towels, especially skin. Then add in salt and five spice and rub into meat and avoid five spice powder on the skin. You can choose to lightly score the skin for the fat to render more easily.
- On low heat, place some oil onto the pan and place the duck skin side down onto it. Apply a slight pressure during the first 3 mins to keep edges from curling up. After about 5 minutes, the fat should begin to gently bubble. If there’s no sound or spitting, adjust heat accordingly.
- Maintain the gentle bubbling of the fat and cook until skin is golden-brown and the fat has been rendered.
- Increase the heat to a medium and flip over to have the duck flesh side down. Continue cooking duck for about 2~3 mins. I usually aim to have my duck medium-rare to have a tinge of pink. I go by feel but to be more accurate, use a thermometer and cook till internal temperature reaches about 53 degrees C.
- After removing the duck, the crucial step is to let the duck rest for at least 10 minutes.
- After resting, proceed to slice the duck thinly for the pizza.
After the three components have been completed, remove pizza from oven, place the sliced duck and spring onions on the pizza.
Drizzle hoisin sauce and serve. Best enjoyed with an ice-cold Ultra low carb beer from Pure Blonde.